Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Run Forrest... RUUUNNNNN

It seems like in life we are always running here to there, never having enough time at each place. I have officially been in Hong Kong now for two whole months and the time has flown by and it seems like the time just dissipates. It is amazing to me that we have all these plans and they are well organized, well it seems that way at the time anyways, and they are never done the way we wanted them to. However, we enjoy the end result and at times we realize that "oh, that was just luck" but most importantly we finally realize "oh, thank you God for making that happen according to YOUR plan." At the end of the day our plans vanish anyways and the day would have gone by so much better if it was according to His plan. I have learned day-by-day here that God's grace is always enough, above anything else. I have noticed that I have changed little by little as the weeks go by. I feel that I am more understanding to other peoples thoughts and God's presence around me. I have excelled greatly, in my eyes, in physical activity and forming a healthier lifestyle. It is amazing what a new heart beat after almost 15 years of being diagnosed with a heart disease and a heart set on fire for God will do for you mentally, emotionally, and physically.


I have joined the Judo club on campus and go every Tuesday and Thursday. We have learned the techniques of falling in different positions to protect our head and body cavity. The bruises are a sign of not weakness but that I am doing it right! The soreness is a great pain and knowing that I am learning how to defend myself and others in a "peaceful" manner makes it all worth it. When I showed up for the first class a month ago, the instructor, Abby, was sizing me for my uniform. My body structure is wider and I am a little bit more round than all the other students. She told me that I was not large, I was very strong! I had to laugh at that comment! Master I, our head instructor, encourages me every class to continue to come back due to my progress. The instructors speak English very well so it is easy to communicate what I am feeling and the questions I have can be answered so that I can understand them. The classes are instructed in Cantonese but Abby is allowed to sit next to me and tell me in English. My friend JoAnna has joined the class with me and so we are able to work around the same pace. Our instructors want us to have a belt test before we leave for the semester, but we shall see how that works out. This past week we began to learn the basic throws. There are pictures and videos of this that Abby took but we will get them at the end of the semester. I felt sorry for the guy I was partnered up with because it was not a great day to begin with and I was chosen to throw him first. I did not do it with much force but it took me and him by surprise that is for sure! Abby gasped when he hit the mat and I freaked out a little due to me never really hitting someone or throwing them. I apologized, naturally, and Abby told me not to apologize because I did it perfectly! Of course the next couple of times was not perfect, but I am getting the concept down.

My great friends (Sam, Liam, and Sarah) have kept encouraging me to go to the gym every other day and sometimes everyday to workout. I can not express how much better I feel in general after I exercise. It is like a new rush of energy that I have never had before! When I left home I weighed about 210 lbs and I am currently at 195 lbs. Partially it is due to the lack of butter, fats, and FRIED food in my diet but for the most part it is the running three miles every time I go to the gym. It is super crazy to me to think that I had heart surgery one year and five months ago. Ironically I marked the occasion by signing up for a 10K "fun run." Now when I was signing up for this and talking to Liam and Sarah, I was thinking... what in the world is FUN about running 6.2 miles? I went ahead and signed up for it and let em tell you... it was one of the most rewarding things in my life to turn that form in and know that I was even going to attempt this run with great friends and God at my side. This past Friday was the race. Since October is breast cancer awareness month and I am a firm believer in supporting this cause I decided to run in honor of the ones that I have lost and those that have survived. I partially did it as well for my heart and those that suffer and have suffered from heart complications. As I was gearing up for the run I figured out my comfortable pace and organized a playlist with songs that had a similar rhythm. The Monday before I went to the track to see how long it would take to do 16 laps. Let's just say that it was not an enjoyable run and I felt really nervous for Friday. I finished the laps in 55 minutes. The race was 25 laps... I did a mini run on Tuesday and rested for Wednesday and Thursday. The meals here really lack a reasonable amount of meat and vegetables. I have been feeling a little weak due to this so Sarah and I decided to venture out Wednesday night and found the Outback Steakhouse on the harbor. FYI, I absolutely LOVE the bread and butter there so I usually eat two loafs by myself! We definitely ate way too much but it was well worth it. We had an Awesome Blossom, bread and butter, two sides, a salad, and a steak. At that moment in time I thought that I had found Heaven! All day Thursday I stretched and drank lots and lots of water with fruits and raw veggies. Friday I was nervous and continued to walk around to get my mind off of things. It reminded me of when I was in high school and I was about to go on the stage for One Act Play and perform my heart out. Six o'clock arrived very quickly as we met at the track. There was between 60 and 70 runners. A larger portion was on the school's track team so we all knew that we would easily be lapped. We had an awesome support team that showed up with banners, water, signs, juice, and cold, wet rags. I loved that the Americans were the only ones that had people there to cheer them on and help when the times got tough. They took over a table that was on the side and placed it next to the track and set up camp. The amazing support group was made up of Cassy, Turner, Erika, Stephanie, and Meghan. All of the officials for the race wanted a group picture with our little "team" and was very excited about international students participating. The past couple of days were hot and very humid. We were afraid that it would be the same for the race but fortunately God had other plans and it was cool and breezy right before the race started. I was VERY thankful for that. When the gun went off I reminded myself to begin slow and pace myself. I stayed focused and listened to my jams and sometimes I danced as I was running, that's just who I am! I had a timer that was assigned to my awesome number 17. Every time I would pass he would give me the thumbs-up and say, "you are doing good #17 only __ laps to go!" The laps went by quickly, surprisingly, and I did not have any trouble breathing or pains. Liam finished before all of us and he generously waited until I met up with him and he began to run with me to talk and encourage. I had six more laps to go and he was going to stay with me for four of them. As we ran we said Bible verses back and forth that sought for endurance and strength. Those four laps went by very fast and my ankles began to ache. I told Liam that I wanted to just walk the last couple because I had time... of course the powerhouse that he is discouraged that and told me I HAD to run until the very end. Then it was just me and the last two laps to go... I wanted to give and just walk so bad but of course the song that would play on my iPod at that time was Dare You To Move by Switchfoot. I picked up the pace and pushed and pushed and pushed my legs farther and farther. On last lap to go and I just gave it everything that I had. I felt like I was was going super fast but I am sure if you were watching from the sidelines I was barely moving! All the time keepers and my friends were screaming and cheering as I approached that finish line and when I crossed it there was no better feeling. I could not believe that after only running for a little over a month in my life I had just completed a 10K in one hour and four minutes! One of the BEST feelings EVER!!!








After the "fun run" I had to hurry back to my room and change for the Zhou Hall High Table Dinner. This formal dinner was for my residence hall and the guest speaker was from the Hong Kong legislature. The week prior to the event I went out with my Hall Tutor, Elliot, for a new suit. He brought me to this place where they will tailor one for you and it only cost me $50 USD! I was in shock that it was so cheap and such great quality. The older, Chinese man was very nice and just smiled the entire time he was measuring me. Anyways, so I had to hurry and take a shower and change... if you are from southeast Texas you can relate with me for a second. It is not that easy to be in a hurry and change into a suit, shoes, and tie with a high humidity factor. I was already an hour and a half late but they insisted that I still come. I made it and the four course meal was all laid out at my seat, cold of course. It was so good though after a long run! I had the lobster and shrimp bisque, smoked salmon salad, salmon with cream sauce and mixed veggies, and New York style cheesecake (well their idea of NY cheesecake...) I had a personal interpreter for the meal and she was very patient and very well spoken. Our guest speaker spoke of how she went through the steps to gain her degree, become a lawyer, progress in politics, being appointed to the HK legislature, and now serve as the leader of the Civic party. She encouraged our generation to strive for our dreams and when the possible seems impossible, YOU are the best one to motivate YOURSELF! Now of course I was one of three non-local students int he entire room. They had a question and answer section and after the first student asked a question and the guest answered, the MC (what I thought) asked if anyone else would like to ask a question. I immediately shot up my hand and people began to clap and photographers were snapping photos as the microphone was passed to me. I was confused as to why all this excitement but I quickly learned that the MC had not asked for another student to ask a question but for someone to answer the guest speaker's question for an autographed copy of her book. I turned a bright shade of red and slowly sank into my seat. The guest speaker rose and told me that it was okay to have misunderstood and that I would surely be the next one to ask her a question... So it came time for the Westerner to ask his question, "Do you feel that your motivation from yourself was fed by others support?" She answered my question in English and began to tell her support first from God and how her CATHOLIC faith has helped her be the person she is today. Okay, this shocked me sooo much! There are not many local or Mainland people that are Catholic that I have found. Then she went on about her beliefs and her family support. After the guest left we took many pictures with friends from our hall and then returned to our floors and ordered McDonalds FOR DELIVERY!!! Great night with  local friends for sure!




1 comment: