Thursday, September 9, 2010

And They're Off!!!

I have successfully completed on full week of classes here at HKBU and love every minute of it. I am a fortunate student with me classes ending at 11:00 am on Thursdays as were many students still have classes on Friday afternoon. I am enrolled in four courses which range from Cantonese, Literature and Film, Chinese Art Studio, and Understanding Society in Hong Kong and Mainland China. In case you were wondering all of my professors speak English! It is a little strange how classes are done here. You have the usual reports and projects but there are really no quizzes or multiple tests throughout the semester. Mainly the final is your examination and sometimes a mid-term is used. The grade focuses on a large percentage of participation and involvement in discussion. I think that my art class is my favorite so far. Int he class we are learning how to paint the often seen art works of the landscapes, bamboo, flowers, and fish that are on rice paper and scrolls. The art uses ink instead of paint and the brushes are a bit different.


My art class is not only the most interesting, it is also the most interesting to get to! It is on another campus on the other side of Hong Kong. I have to take the MTR and leave at 7:30 am on Wednesdays to get to the class. It was my first time to go to this class and none of my friends were taking the class or a class that was on that campus on Wednesday. Needless to say, the trip was eventful and after sweating and making my clothes drenched due to the humidity outside I finally made it at 8:40 am when class started at 8:30 am. There are no signs directing you to the campus nor was there anyone on the streets that knew what or where I was talking about. I think maybe they did know and they just did not want to help the lost white boy out... So I called my friend Cassy, who had a class there early in the week, and told her where I was. Yes of course! I was on the other side of town and had walked all that way thinking I was going in the right direction. So I turned around and walked the other direction and made it to a landmark, a temple. I took the road up a hill and was told to watch for a wall made out of tin and directly after there will be three steps. I found the three steps and what seemed to be a trail. Let me just say that I felt this "trail" was a trick and that there would be someone on it that would rob and more than likely murder me! Sketchy to say the least... I took a deep breath in and walked up the three steps and began on the short trail that was made of broken glass and brick. There was a random stepping stone with an ear painted on it, weird I know. After the trail there was a guard booth that was on a real, steep road. That was the road to the campus. As I made my trek up the hill I was amazed at the architecture of the two buildings and the landscape that the buildings sat on. The history of the builds and land is absolutely remarkable. The campus used to be the British air force mess hall and recreation area along with a few offices. It faced the old airport and there are tunnels underground that lead to the old airport. Of course, the openings are now sealed off and some of the original things are missing. It is really neat that I get to have a class where much of Hong Kong's history took place. Hong Kong was once a British colony and in 1997 they became their own and will possibly one day be back under the Republic of China. If you were wondering, I did make it to class and the history lesson of the day absolutely made my week!


Not only are the classes starting, but the title of this post is also about the HORSE RACES!!! Since this used to be a British colony the famous sport is still around. Every Wednesday night during the fall semester the races occur. Me and a group of friends went to watch since it is only about $1 USD to enter. The atmosphere was absolutely incredible and there were so many people... Mostly there were white people and I said to myself "where in the heck did all these white folks come from?" The night was going great and the enjoyment of watching the races were amazing. When it came to the seventh race of the night I felt a little persuaded to go ahead and "donate" $10 HKD on the number seven horse. As seven is my lucky number I felt it appropriate. After much yelling and making my voice go hoarse, the number seven horse passed all of the others at the last minute and WON!!! So basically my donation towards that horse paid for my dinner and the trip there for the night. I was a happy person to say the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment