Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thought It Was A Good Idea In The Beginning...

I wanted to go hiking through Hong Kong so I began to search Google and came across a website that had routes and trails with maps and GPS coordinates for Hong Kong. A guy by the name of Michael, who is from Australia, has lived here in Hong Kong for seven years and loves to hike. He put the website together for hikers and those interested in hiking around Hong Kong. I found a trail that would lead to the world's largest sitting Buddha and thought that it would be a great trip to bring a few of my exchange friends on. I emailed Michael to ask a few questions about the trail and he offered to go along with us so he could update the trail on his website. How awesome to have someone who is an experienced hiker in Hong Kong to join us!!!

We traveled by the MTR to meet him. On our way there on the MTR, an Asian man asked Toby where he was from and he said Germany. (Note: the majority of my friends that I do things with are from Germany and were with us.) The man began to shout and shake his fist saying, "I hate Germany, I hate Germany and all Germans!" He asked the others where they were from and some said Sweden just so that he would not go off on them. The man continued to rant by saying, "All of you are Nazis and I hate you all!" Needless to say while this was going on I was getting closer and closer to the emergency exit to bust out if needed. I am not a dumb American; I know a nut job when I see one!

When we finally met Michael, we took a bus to Lantau Island for this "hike." Michael told us that the one we were going on was roughly 10 kilometers. I thought to myself that 10K was nothing.... yeah ok I did not realize how steep some of these peaks were! We started out with fourteen brave souls on our trek. It was not too hot but it was very humid. As the trek continued and we were closer to the higher peaks the winds were picking up so it made it cooler for us. I brought three liters of water to drink and was done with that about three quarters of the way.


The scenery was absolutely beautiful and to be apart of that made the trip so much more enjoyable. Poor Michael, he was used to making this trek in two and a half hours and it took us four and a half. I know he was probably bored out of his mind but he was very patient with us. At times I was wondering why I was doing this to my body due to the strain and stress it was doing on my legs and heart. I kept telling myself that if I finished it would be such an accomplishment for me! I never was able to go to Philmont due to my heart so I was thinking to myself that this is what it must be like!


As we got closer and closer to the Buddha in our view it was only to find that we had much more land to travel. All of us were very encouraging to each other and I did a lot of praying for myself that I could just make it to the next peak! It was nice to have those quiet moments on the trail; time to clear my mind of things that have been bothering me and time to talk to God about what I have been discerning about lately. I continued to see God's beauty throughout the day as we continued on the trail. When I would become weak or think that I could not make it I would continue to speak to God and ask for strength and guidance on the trail. Overall, the experience of the Holy Spirit and the landscape was mind blowing and I would have not traded it for anything!


One of my good friends, Bennedikt, stayed close to me the entire trek and we were able to talk a lot and was able to bond more. I guess you could say that we were encouraging each other. When we had mastered our last peak, the Big Buddha as only about 1 kilometer away. Benni offered for him and I to take a taxi for the rest of the way since we were now on the road. I seriously considered the idea but I told him that if I gave up on this that I would be upset in the end. He agreed and kindly kept trekking up the last kilometer with me. As we reached our destination all we could think about was food. We immediately looked for food due to all of us being extremely hungry. Michael decided to share a little bit of information with us... the trail that we had been on for the past four and a half hours was a level four... a level five is the most difficult! Sure, now you tell us; thanks Michael. Out of the fourteen people that started the trek only nine of us survived the entire trip! It was such an accomplishment. As we searched for a place to eat at the Big Buddha we found Subway. I screamed very loudly and everyone looked at em like I was nuts but I was super excited to have a fresh sandwich with lots of veggies on it.


As we made our way to the Big Buddha after we ate we saw.... more stairs to climb to get to the top. Umm, excuse me dude but we just trekked a long way up and down mountains to see you and now you want us to climb more stairs to touch you?!? Aren't you asking a little much of us Mr. Buddha? I sucked it up and began to climb and climb and climb my nice rounded American body up to the top. My legs were shaking by this time. It was such an accomplishment and a rewarding afternoon to know that I made it all the way and did not give up!


One our way back to the university we took the cable car that gave an amazing view of some of the landscape of the islands. It was a nice relaxing ending to such a long day. Michael was a great help and sport to stick with us the entire time on the trail. The most amazing part of the entire trek was getting away from all the sounds and fast pace of the city and to enjoy the clean air and environment that God made for all of us to enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Judson! What an incredible experience! The pictures are so beautiful. I can't imaging how overwhelming the creation must be in person. Inspires you to worship the Creator I'm sure. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete