Thursday, August 19, 2010

This morning was eventful as always with me getting ready for a trip. I woke at 6:15a.m. in our hotel room for be at the airport at 7:00a.m. for a flight to Newark departing at 8:55a.m. As with any airport travel I always freak about the weight of my luggage and sure enough this time I was right!

The requirements are two free checked bags weighing under 50lbs a piece. Well… one bag was 55lbs and the other was 67lbs. So I had to unpack and repack the luggage that was already to its MAX stuffing capacity because there was no way that I was going to pay an extra $50 for two pieces of overweight luggage! I thought for a minute and asked myself ok how can I only pay for one… so I transferred the 5lbs from the 50lbs to the 67lbs. The lady then said sorry sir this bag can only way 70lbs… so some pants were taken out and handed to mom to take home. I was offered an extra-leg room seat on the plane from Newark to Hong Kong for an extra $150 so OF COURSE I took that offer. I never get that chance because they are always taken but not today… NOT UP IN HERE!!!
 As I made my way to the security line I told mom and Aunt Debbie my “see you laters” cause there are no “goodbyes” in my vocabulary. Waited in line for the looonnnnngggg security check, and of course I was the one that was taken to the side because there was something suspicious in my bag. IT WAS A TOOTHPASTE TUBE! Come on people what am I going to do with a tube of toothpaste? Maybe offer it to the person that was checking my bag cause his breathe was not fresh. By the time I made it to my gate, WITHOUT MY STARBUCKS, it was already time for my row to board. I was carrying on a hiking backpack that was stuffed to the max as well and my school backpack, it too stuffed. I like to think outside of the box, aka how can I keep my money for something better. So the reason why I was bringing the huge backpack is because you can actually bring a bag that is larger than a carry-on and a personal. The large bag will be checked for you for FREE at the gate. Mom didn’t teach me to bargain shop for nothing!


The flight to Newark was one of the smoothest rides yet in my history of flying. Well… until about forty minutes before landing the plane took a nice plunge downward. It wasn’t time for descending yet people why are we bracing ourselves to the chair in front of us? Oh that’s right because our captain forgot to announce that we were descending before usual time. As I landed I was able to see the Statue of Liberty and the harbor along with the Empire State Building and the skyline.

I find it ironic that this very harbor is were many of our ancestors came into America and started their lives so that our families could live in this great nation. It is really neat that I get to leave from this spot to start a short life in another country. I am sitting in Ruby’s Diner eating my last American meal, a bacon cheeseburger. While I eat I am looking at the skyline of Manhattan.


Well “see ya later” for now as I begin my journey to Hong Kong. My travel companions (Carl the chimp, Jobin the sock monkey, and Jiminy my conscience) and I are about to find seat at the gate to take flight for my new home.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! We landed in Newark when we went to New York in June. It's a great view of the Manhattan skyline from there. I hope you have a fun & safe journey, Jud! Take lots of pictures & I can show you how to Photoshop a lot of them when you get back! lol

    ReplyDelete