Monday, August 23, 2010

The Two Fatties from AMERICA

I have been in Hong Kong now for four complete days. It is absolutely beautiful here with the smells of all the wonderful food and the rush of the city life. The weather is exactly like Houston right now so I do not feel out of place one bit! A lot has happened since I landed Thursday night: sleep, EATING, shopping for school, bringing Katrina Fritz-Mills to the airport and taking her bed at the Tsang house, cooking, church, checking in at the dorms, etc.



The flight in was great with time for plenty of movies and little sleep. I enjoyed the enormous amount of leg room and free movies that was offered. When I landed I was walking as fast as possible to the customs as I was being yelled at to remove my cap... little did I know they were using infrared cameras to take my temp. I was greeted by great friends (Brittney and Ellison Tsang, Katrina) with a sign that read "Mr. Judson LaGrone (welcome to Hong Kong)." I felt like a rich person being picked up from the airport! As we pulled up the the Tsang's new apartment (flat) I say people dressed in suites opening the doors for people and a huge sign that read "The Palazzo." I felt like I was a high roller walking into a 5 star hotel!!!


I was with the gang venturing on the Peak on Friday night and on our way home there was a slight traffic jam coming down the mountain. As we approached the stopped taxi there was a man on the sidewalk laying there with blood all over him. No one was helping this guy; all they were doing was trying to get away from him. I was thinking about getting off the bus to check and see if I could at least comfort the man of if he needed CPR, but the ambulance was behind our bus. I asked people about others not giving aid to those in need of medical attention and the response was that CPR and first aid is not well known to civilians like it is in the states. On a better note... I found a pair of old school Ray Ban sunglasses in a bathroom at the mall! Of course I asked around and no takers... and yes I did sanitize them.


I am partially moved in to my dorm room now and have a great view. I live on the ninth floor of the north tower. I should have a roommate but have not met him yet. I will be sharing a bathroom with my suite mates and I hear that a "maid" will come and clean my bathroom once a week!


I am sure you are wondering why on earth the title of this blog is titled the way it is... Ellison's uncle was nice to take all of his family out and I was also allowed to go for dinner at a buffet at Kowloon Hotel. The price of the meal was roughly $350 HKD a person. It was all paid for by his uncle! The way of the eating goes around here in China is that the more food the better. They feel that if you have a big appetite that they have spent their money well on you. We started eating at 6:00 and the dinner was until 10:00. Yes, we had to eat for four hours straight and was encouraged to continue to go for more and more and more... I was to the point that I wanted to throw-up all that I had eaten. Do not get me wrong, the food was absolutely AMAZING! Ellison's family kept looking at me and talking to each other in Cantonese. I asked El what was being said and he replied, "They are glad that you came with a big appetite and that the money was well spent." Well hey, at least I was making them happy. My stomach was not... Brittney and I, after eating plenty of the main dishes, headed for the desserts and found that there was a cooler full of different types of Haagen Dazs ice cream... after about three bowls later they kept looking at us and we said, "oh look out the two American fatties are going back for more!"

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaha! love that ending pic Juddy! I can't imagine the digestive troubles you must have encountered after that one ;)

    ReplyDelete